Cradle has got a real Hoxton/Shoreditch look about it and also the kind of place you could imagine finding Gwyneth or Madonna. The tiny cafe/bakery was buzzing with activity when we went for lunch last week and it's obviously quite the meeting place for the yummy mummies and the cool vegans of Sudbury. Simple and stylish, it's completely plant based with everything made from scratch on site, including nut butters and an excellent rooibos based fermented kombucha (so hipster, so refreshing). Bread is baked on site, with house milled rye, wheat and spelt flour used in the proper crusty loaves. There's also some very tempting patisserie on display. A small blackboard menu offers an interesting and surprisingly fancy range of dishes with thankfully no fakin' bacon but just prime, fresh ingredients superbly cooked.
- the kombucha story
- a simple blackboard menu
- a glass of kombucha and juice of the day (parsley,kale,apple, lemon and coco)
- kombucha fermenting
- pan fried polenta, spinach, bechamel and toasted hazelnuts
- pear danish pastry
- mushroom a la grecque with dill cream cheese, herbs on toasted sourdough - the house tartine
- drum roll please for a classic brioche Tropezienne with a creme anglaise ( and yes, even without eggs and cream it tasted better than most creme anglaises we've been served elsewhere)
- walnut and caramel tart with vanilla icecream
- hummus of wild garlic, half a loaf, olive oil and beet balsamic
Below are the contents of the Jubilee Hamper served at Buck House before the concert - Heston came up with the ideas and Waitrose packed it - no doubt it's now all available in their stores.
- Chilled British Country Garden soup
- Tea-smoked Scottish salmon
- Diamond Jubilee chicken
- Vegetarian option: Mushroom Parfait
- Fresh bread rolls
- Country Life butter
- Crunchy seasonal crudités
- Lemon and caraway Madeira cupcake
- Chocolate indulgence cupcake
- Sandringham strawberry crumble crunch
- Waitrose West Country farmhouse cheddar and Red Leicester
- Duchy Originals Oaten biscuits
- Duchy Originals Harvest chutney
- Extras: 12 hand wipes, clear plastic cutlery and napkin, Diamond Jubilee poncho, Union flag!
Meanwhile in Sudbury we joined friends in the park and ate our own home made couscous, watercress, orange and smoked mackerel salad, pheasant and bacon terrine, fresh strawberry cake and pretty white chocolate cake pops.